Ten Ohio companies will spin new drone technology out of their portfolios and into the defense and commercial unmanned aerial systems (UAS) markets through the second cohort of the Dayton Region’s Office of Economic Adjustment (OEA) Defense Accelerator.
The program seeks to help participating startups identify uses for their drone and UAS-focused technologies; move their technology products to market; position their companies to create jobs; and generate revenue and support growth of the regional economy.
The Accelerator is funded by the Department of Defense OEA and managed by Launch Dayton partners Parallax Advanced Research and the Entrepreneurs’ Center. The National UAS Training and Certification Center at Sinclair College is also supporting the accelerator with subject matter experts and feedback on curriculum content.
“UAS and flying cars are essential to the JobsOhio and Ohio Department of Transportation Advanced Air Mobility Strategy, and they are applied to a myriad of applications and technologies that impact our lives and communities. The Statewide Ohio Federal Research Network in collaboration with NASA Glenn, National Air and Space Intelligence Center, Naval Medical Research Unit Dayton and Air Force Research Laboratory funds UAS research and development projects within the State of Ohio that directly contribute to the State’s economy and quality job market. We’re excited to add another program – this UAS-focused accelerator — to our portfolio that supports entrepreneurs tackling UAS industry challenges,” said Dennis Andersh, Parallax Advanced Research CEO.
"UAS is one of the foremost emerging industries in the Dayton market and an important national focus so it's especially exciting to have this as our technology area of focus for the second cohort for the OEA Accelerator. The Entrepreneurs' Center is proud to be a leader in training small businesses and entrepreneurs with this area of expertise for the region alongside our strategic partners whose combined efforts will have a significant impact on Dayton's economic development," said Lauren Tiffan, director of strategic programs, Entrepreneurs' Center
The participant cohort will gather virtually for six weeks, during which they’ll develop business models and identify customers and strategic partners who will bring in outside capital and talent to grow and scale their businesses. The program will feature hands-on workshops, guest speakers, wrap-around services, and resources from partners.
“We are very excited to support the launch of this UAS Accelerator. The resources and knowledge provided to the participants, many of whom are current Sinclair students or alumni, are invaluable, and the interest in the program really highlights the excitement around the UAS industry in Ohio,” said Dr. Andrew Shepherd, executive director and chief scientist, Sinclair College National UAS Training and Certification Center
The cohort participants applied & interviewed for the accelerator program. The founders have various levels of experience in commercial industry and with Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) funded government . They are developing a range of both physical products and software solutions. Participating companies include:
- GhostWave Inc., working on UAS collision avoidance with sensor fusion utilizing lidar, the optical analogue of radar which uses intense pulses of laser light
- NuWaves Engineering, with power amplifiers and bidirectional amplifiers for the UAS market to extend the communication range of UAS
- Zeius, Inc., bringing drone entertainment utilizing augmented reality
- Black River Systems Company, offering counter-UAS hardware and software for stadium security or special events
- GlobalEyez Solution, LLC, developing autonomous systems to detect and remediate harmful algae blooms
- LJB Inc., using the latest in scanning and data collection technologies to provide clients with actionable information when tracking assets
- Skyward Ltd., offering UAS-based data collection and analysis architecture to aid with forest wildland fire and disaster response management missions
- Airborne Solutions, establishing an on-call list of trained and qualified UAV pilots and ground personnel to provide UAS services
- Brennaman Aerial Services, LLC, providing drone services to many different industries with focus in roof inspections, surveys, marketing, and real estate
- Larson Photography, providing roofing installation documentation using aerial multi-rotor systems with a primary focus on meeting professional clients' online marketing needs.
About Parallax Advanced Research
Parallax is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that tackles global challenges by accelerating innovation and developing technology and solutions through strategic partnerships with government, industry and academia across Ohio and the Nation. Together with academia, Parallax accelerates innovation that leads to new breakthroughs. Together with government, Parallax tackles critical global challenges and delivers new solutions. Together with industry, Parallax develops groundbreaking ideas and speeds them to market.
About Launch Dayton
Launch Dayton is a collaborative effort of regional entrepreneurial support organizations to connect and support Dayton’s entrepreneur and startup community. Launch Dayton partners believe everyone, regardless of their background, should have the opportunity to determine their own economic prosperity. The Launch Dayton community exists to support and inspire all Daytonians who are building businesses. Launch Dayton partners collaborate to build an easily accessible environment, run high caliber programming, and connect a network of champions, mentors, and resource providers.
About the Entrepreneurs’ Center
The Entrepreneurs’ Center (EC) is a modern economic development organization that powers progress and prosperity through entrepreneurship. Annually, the EC works with over 1,000 brilliant entrepreneurs to start and grow companies, create jobs, generate revenue, and attract investment. The EC empowers startups and small businesses in technology, lifestyle, and research sectors through complimentary professional services including business planning, mentoring, training, networking, marketing and commercialization. The EC's talented and experienced team of advisors, entrepreneurs-in-residence, and staff design and facilitate diverse, world-class business acceleration programs on behalf of corporations, higher education institutions, and government agencies including the U.S. Department of Defense from their headquarters at The Hub in the historic Dayton Arcade.