Parallax Advanced Research hosted the Defense Innovation OnRamp Hub: Ohio Ribbon Cutting Ceremony on December 15, 2023. The event brought together key players in the defense and innovation sectors, including the Defense Innovation Unit, National Security Innovation Network, Dayton Development Coalition, JobsOhio, and OneDefense. The ceremony marked the official launch of the OnRamp Hub: Ohio.
The event commenced with welcoming remarks from Maj. Gen. (Ret.) Mark Bartman, Vice President for Advanced Development at Parallax Advanced Research. He relayed the OnRamp Hub: Ohio mission to foster innovation, collaboration, and advance defense technologies.
Caption: Mark Bartman, Vice President for Advanced Development at Parallax Advanced Research commences event with welcoming remarks
Distinguished speakers included:
- US Senator Sherrod Brown spoke about the significance of the OnRamp Hub: Ohio in the national defense landscape and the positive impact the OnRamp Hub will have on Ohio's aerospace and defense sectors.
Caption: US Senator Sherrod Brown speaking about the significance of the OnRamp Hub: Ohio
- US Representative Mike Turner spoke about the importance of public-private partnerships in driving innovation and strengthening national security.
Caption: Mike Turner speaking with other attendees before the ribbon-cutting.
- Colonel (Ret.) Joseph E. Zeis Jr., serving as the Ohio Governor's Senior Advisor for Aerospace and Defense, spoke about the state's commitment to supporting initiatives that propel technological advancements in defense.
Caption: Colonel (Ret.) Joseph E. Zeis Jr. speaking about the state's commitment to supporting initiatives that propel technological advancements in defense
- The Defense Innovation Unit's ( ) Deputy Director, People, Finance & Management, Kirstin Riesbeck, and Director Doug Beck commented on the federal government's support for initiatives like the OnRamp Hub: Ohio to propel private, academic, and government-led innovation and maintain our forefront in national security.
Caption: Kristin Riesbeck commenting on the federal government's support for initiatives like the OnRamp Hub: Ohio
- Representing the National Security Innovation Network (
National Security Innovation Network), Cassie Muffley, National OnRamp Hub Program Director spoke about the OnRamp Hub’s potential to drive innovation. Ian Haynes, Regional Engagement Principal for Ohio, previewed an upcoming Department of Defense ( ) challenge problem.
Caption: Cassie Muffley speaking about the OnRamp Hub's potential to drive innovation
- As President and CEO of the Dayton Development Coalition, Jeff Hoagland spoke about the strategic importance of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and Ohio in the national defense innovation ecosystem.
Caption: Jeff Hoagland speaking about the strategic importance of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and Ohio in the national defense innovation ecosystem.
- Executive Vice President of The Hub, powered by PNC Bank, and President of the Entrepreneurs' Center, Scott Koorndyk, spoke about the importance of locating the OnRamp Hub in an existing collaborative space.
Caption: Scott Koorndyk, speaking about the importance of locating the OnRamp Hub in an existing collaborative space.
Poster Exhibit and Ribbon Cutting
The OnRamp Hub: Ohio showcased its offerings and processes to solve problems via a poster session.
The center of the event was the ribbon-cutting ceremony, where key collaborators - Parallax Advanced Research, Ohio’s Congressional Leadership, the Ohio Governor's Senior Advisor for Aerospace and Defense, ,
National Security Innovation Network, Dayton Development Coalition, JobsOhio, and OneDefense - came together to inaugurate the OnRamp Hub: Ohio.
The OnRamp Hub: Ohio looks forward to innovating and collaborating on defense technology with entrepreneurs, innovators, academics, and government personnel. The OnRamp Hub is committed to cultivating partnerships that drive advancements that will shape the future of national security. Parallax and its partners extend their gratitude to all the participants, collaborators, and supporters who made this event a success. Stay tuned for more updates from OnRamp Hub: Ohio here.
About Parallax Advanced Research
Parallax Advanced Research is a 501(c)(3) private nonprofit research institute that tackles global challenges through strategic partnerships with government, industry, and academia. It accelerates innovation, addresses critical global issues, and develops groundbreaking ideas with its partners. With offices in Ohio and Virginia, Parallax aims to deliver new solutions and speed them to market. In 2023, Parallax and the Ohio Aerospace Institute (OAI) formed a collaborative affiliation to drive innovation and technological advancements in Ohio and for the nation. OAI plays a pivotal role in advancing the aerospace industry in Ohio and the nation by fostering collaborations between universities, aerospace industries, and government organizations and managing aerospace research, education, and workforce development projects. More information about both organizations can be found on the Parallax and OAI websites.
About Great Lakes Mission Acceleration Center
The Great Lakes Mission Acceleration Center (GLMAC), based in Dayton, Ohio, is the catalyst for defense innovation in the Great Lakes Region. The Center is committed to advancing science and technology for national security and coordinates programs, provides innovation spaces, and facilitates the rapid transition of dual-use technologies. The GLMAC is operated by Parallax Advanced Research. Entrepreneurs, researchers, and government personnel are invited to shape the future of defense innovation by contacting us here.